Follow US IN FACEBOOK
The Gala Awards (TGA) provides juried competitions for professionals and amateur photographers from around the world to compete in four awards and selected thematic contests offering artists opportunities for awards and competitions. The four Awards are the Pollux Award, The Jacob Riis Editorial and Documentary Award; The Julia Margaret Cameron Award for women photographers, and the Charles Dodgson Black & White Award.
TGA hosts the above mentioned Awards to honor talented photographers and as a means of establishing and maintaining a continuing effort to help them further their careers, and promote appraisal towards contemporary photography. TGA recognizes artists’ talent through competitions juried by industry leaders, exposing their work in the media, publishing their work, hosting collective exhibitions, and by exhibiting their work on line and in the Bienial of Fine Ar and Documentary Photography.
Starting 2010 TGA hosted The Biennial of Fine Art and Documentary Photography. The first edition was held in Madrid at the Circle of Fine Arts, the 2nd edition in Buenos Aires, 2012, at the Borges Cultural Center, the 3rd edition was held on September through November 2014 at the Heritage Museum of Malaga exhibiting 520 artworks of 162 photographers from 25 countries, and the 4th edition was held in Berlin, as part of the European Month pf Photography during October 2016. In this last edition there was a participation of 440 artists from 44 countries, and Steve McCurry was the special invitee with a Retrospective: Asia, a Life in Pictures. The 5th edition will be held in Prague in October 2018.
By submitting photographs to the WPGA Competitions and awards, you fully agree with the below described Rules of Entry.
Rules for All Competitions (unless noted in the respective Call for Entries):
1. All photographers, professional, non professional or amateurs, and students, from every country in the world are eligible to participate.
2. A Professional photographer is a person who makes (or has made) most of her/his income from this profession.
3. Photographers of all ages are eligible to participate in the WPGA competitions.
4. There is no limitation as to the number of images or series that may be submitted, or the number of categories to which the image is submitted.
5. When the contest includes categories, all images or series will be judged in the respective categories they are submitted.
6. If the competition includes single images and series or portfolios, and several categories, single images and series or portfolios can be submitted separately to more than one thematic category. Also an image which is part of a series or portfolio and that was submitted to the genre “Series” of a determined category, can be submitted to the genre “Single image” of the same category or other category
7. All images are submitted online as digital files. Photographers with analog images are encouraged to participate by scanning their images into a digital file meeting the submission requirements.
8. There are no date restrictions as to when the photograph was created, or if the image has been previously awarded in other contest organized by WPGA or other organizations, unless excluded in the specific call for entry.
9. Images submitted online must conform to the specifications stated in Image Preparation (see the respective page of the specific Award or competition).
10. Entries must be submitted following the deadlines informed on this website.
11. WPGA reserves the right to modify the submissions and announcement deadlines for a later date.
12. Decisions of the jurors are final.
13. All participants of the WPGA competitions warrant that they own the work submitted and they have exclusive copyright.
14. WPGA recognizes that the authors retain full ownership of the image copyright.
15. Participants warrant that their photographs may be reproduced for the purpose of marketing and promoting WPGA contests, in catalogues, posters, postcards, publications, and on the Internet. Such use is granted for not more than two years after the announcement of the awards, and without payment to the photographer or featured models. Photographers will receive photo credits with each use, and will allow WPGA to sub-license their photographs to the press for reproduction in connection with the contest and WPGA exhibitions.
16. All participants warrant that they can provide, if requested, high resolution files (300 dpi) of all images they have submitted, with the purpose of exhibition and/or book publishing.
17. WPGA will treat participant’s data confidential, and their email addresses or other personal data will only be used to contact the contestants, and will not be transmitted to third parties without explicit consent.
18. WPGA has the right to reject and remove any entry that contains defamatory, obscene, or pornographic content, or that may be considered a criminal offense or violate any law.